Yes, Rescue™ Disinfectants are effective against Bordetella.
One of the pathogens that causes Kennel cough is the bacterium called Bordetella bronchiseptica. With Rescue™ Concentrate, we recommend using the 1:16 dilution (8 oz/gallon of water) with a 5-minute contact time. With Rescue™ Ready-to-Use Liquid and Wipes, we recommend a 1-minute contact time. Contact time is the amount of time liquid should remain wet on the surface in order to achieve disinfection.
Additionally, method of application is important since Bordetella is a type of bacteria that can be spread through aerosolization. To reduce aerosolization, we recommend trying the following tips while disinfecting:
- Utilize the technique of spraying directly into a microfiber cloth, and then use the cloth to spread the solution over the surface, making sure to saturate it fully and allowing it to stay wet for the duration of the contact time.
- Consider switching to a foaming trigger sprayer for application; this will not create any unwanted aerosolization, as it simply drops the product onto the surface so that you can spread it around evenly with a cloth.
- You may consider using the Rescue™ Wipes, which require nothing but gloves and your hands, and also provides a quick 1-minute contact time, while helping to reduce the risk of transmission through aerosolized particles
You may also find these resources useful:
Video: Avoid Aerosolization
- Cleaning and Disinfection Protocol for Gram-Negative and Gram-Positive Bacteria
- Rescue Concentrate Claim Sheet
- Rescue Ready-to-Use Liquid Claim Sheet
- Rescue Wipes Claim Sheet
- Understand the importance of disinfectants and how they impact your patients and staff: Virox Learning
- Cleaning and Disinfection Protocol for Cages and Kennels
- Cleaning and Disinfection Protocol for Exam Rooms
- Guidelines for Standards of Care in Animal Shelters
- Keep It Clean Brochure- Infection Control and Biosecurity in Veterinary Medicine
- Blog: Don't Let Kennel Cough take Over Your Practice!